World’s Largest Art Colony- The Brewery Arts Complex Tour
The tour that started it all for LA Art Tours, we did our first curated showing of lofts at the Brewery in 2007.
The Brewery Arts Complex – so named for being built on the grounds of a decommissioned Pabst Blue Ribbon Brewery- has over 550 artists calling it home. With 330 lofts spread through 23 buildings over 16 acres, this is no simple artist collective. It is a wholly contained artist world, filled with a fascinating collection of characters and the amazing loft spaces they have built into homes and art studios.
Schedule varies by month, usually Saturdays and Sundays, see our calendar for details.
2 – 2.5 hours
Starts at the last gate on the left at the end of Moulton Avenue.
Every guide for our Brewery Arts Complex tour is themselves an artist, living and working here every day. It is their friends and neighbors they are bringing you to visit.
This isn’t some massive and impersonal Artwalk, this is a chance to really meet and interact with the artists on a personal level. You are seeing their spaces not as a specially prepared gallery for a one weekend show, but instead how they live and interact with their space every day. The oil paints will be wet on the canvas, the welding torch still idling, a bit of fresh acrylic smeared absent minded on their nose.
The tour gives a history of what the Brewery was before and how it came to be such a fascinating place. You’ll be taken into the lofts of 6-8 artists who you’ll get to spend a fascinating time discussing their work and lives with. And you’ll get to tour the full grounds of this historic spot, from hidden gardens and giant carousel horses to the sky bridge and our own little bar and restaurant.
The tour ends at Barbara’s Restaurant, the social hub of the Brewery. There you can enjoy a bit and drink. Or if your tastes run to vineyards, head a blocks east to the lovely and equally historic San Antonio Winery, where you can sample in their tasting room or dine in their restaurant. Or venture into nearby Lincoln Heights or Chinatown for a wealth of local dining adventures.
How far do we walk? Over the course of two hours, guests will walk about 1 mile. There are stairs that need to be climbed for a few loft visits, though the upper floors of buildings can be accessed via freight elevators.
Does the tour start on time? Yes. We suggest arriving at least 10 minutes early to insure you don’t miss the beginning.
What if I’m late? The tour starts promptly, and usually heads into a loft immediately. If you are late, you can try calling 310-503-2365 (though we may not be able to pick up right away if leading the tour, we’ll call right back.)
Gratuity/tip? Tips are always appreciated by our guides, but never required. If you want to demonstrate your appreciation to the guide for that job well done, a tip is very welcome.
What if it rains? We still happily do the tour in the rain. Most of the tour is indoors. An umbrella might be desired, but isn’t absolutely necessary if it rains.
Will we see art by (insert name here?) You may. We have about 50 artists that have been selected for the tours, but only 6-8 are visited each tour. Sorry, we can’t guarantee a particular artist will be showing the tour you are on, but all of our artists are amazing.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early as the tour starts on time.
- Just tell the guide your name. No need to print out the ticket or confirmation email.
- ACTIVITY TAKES PLACE RAIN OR SHINE: The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where we are forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or offered a full refund.
- ACTIVITY TAKES PLACE PARTLY OUTDOORS: Dress appropriately for the weather.
- We understand that your plans sometimes change. That is why we try to be as flexible and accommodating as possible.
- Prior to 48 hours before tour time, a full refund can be given.
- Sorry, no refunds within 48 hours of tour start time. Our guides need to get out of work and other commitments to lead the tours, so we commit to paying them whether guests show up or not.
- Up to 24 hours before a scheduled tour you can reschedule for a different date. We only allow one reschedule per booking.
The tour starts at the last gate on the left at the end of Moulton Avenue (670 Moulton Avenue #9, Los Angeles, CA 90031 for the purpose of mapping.)
Your guide will meet you at the gate at the tour start time.
There is free parking up and down Moulton Avenue.