Gabba Alley Project Graffiti and Mural Tour
We love to take our guests off the beaten path, exploring the hidden side of the Los Angeles art scene. So we’re bringing you to Historic Filipino Town for one of the most amazing displays of hidden artwork in Los Angeles.
In 2014 Gabba Gallery owner Jason Ostro decided to take action and beautify the neighborhood his gallery called home. Gathering a small army of volunteer local and visiting mural and graffiti artists, the Gabba Alley Project was born. 4 years later, there are now over 125 pieces of amazing art bringing wonder and beauty to a corner of Los Angeles most visitors (and many residents) don’t even know exists. From large murals gracing entire building facades, to tiny hidden treasures tucked in nooks and corners.
Select Wednesdays and Fridays
2 – 2.5 hours
Coffee/ Water/ restroom break at start and finish
$28/person with discounted Metro Bike rental
Starts at Tactile Coffee in Historic Filipino Town (mid city/Downtown area.)
3109 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
You’ll be led through these vibrant and colorful alleys and hidden back parking lots by local graffiti artist, educator and tour guide extraordinaire Galo Canote. Galo lives overlooking these streets, and has a mural of his own gracing one of the walls. You’ll also pay a visit to the Gabba Gallery, where Jason Ostro will discuss the project and answer your questions about this amazing endeavor.
The tour runs approximately 2 hours. We begin at the newly opened opened Tactile Coffee (3109 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057) where our friends can happily serve up a hot or cold beverage to kick start your adventure. From there your guide will give you a history of Historic Filipinotown, a history of graffiti and mural art, and walk you through the art and lives of over 90 artists, both Los Angeles greats and visiting masters, each showcasing their unique style of urban art. Feel free to bring a camera, there will be plenty of amazing photos to snap.
The tour ends back where it started, giving you a chance to get refreshment at Tactile, or head into the local neighborhood for a culinary adventure which your guide, a self confessed foodie, will be more than happy to offer suggestions for.
How far do we walk? Approximately 2 hours of walking at a slow pace, covering about 1.5 miles.
Does the tour start on time? Yes. We suggest arriving at least 10 minutes early to insure you don’t miss the beginning.
What if I’m late? The guide will be either across the street at the Gabba Gallery, or in the alleys behind the building housing Tactile Coffee. If not at the gallery, cross the street (back to Tactile side) and head north on Dillon. You should be able to find the group in the first alley you reach. If you are unable to locate them, you can try calling 310-503-2365 (though we may not be able to pick up if leading a tour.)
Gratuity/tip? Tips are always appreciated by our guides, but never required. If you want to demonstrate your appreciation to the guide for that job well done, a tip is very welcome.
What if it rains? We still happily do the tour in the rain (murals actually photograph much better under dark skies.) We’ll even bring a few extra umbrellas for those wthout. Only in the event of severe weather (does that even happen in LA?) will we cancel a walking tour.
Will we see art by (insert name here?) You may. If its in the Arts District, you’ll likely visit it. But the routes can vary slightly, so if you expected a particular piece of art, and didn’t get to see it, your guide will gladly point you in the right direction after the tour (or break the news gently if that piece is long painted over.)
- Please arrive 10 minutes early as the tour starts on time.
- Just tell the guide your name. No need to print out the ticket or confirmation email.
- ACTIVITY TAKES PLACE RAIN OR SHINE: The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where we are forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or offered a full refund.
- ACTIVITY TAKES PLACE OUTDOORS: Dress appropriately for the weather.
- We understand that your plans sometimes change. That is why we try to be as flexible and accommodating as possible.
- Prior to 48 hours before tour time, a full refund can be given.
- Sorry, no refunds within 48 hours of tour start time. Our guides need to get out of work and other commitments to lead the tours, so we commit to paying them whether guests show up or not.
- Up to 24 hours before a scheduled tour you can reschedule for a different date. We only allow one reschedule per booking.
There is free street parking in the area, but as always, be mindful of signs.